The best topic

Replies: 10403
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:05:02 PM
Re: Forum gossip thread by James Bond

Safe Guns?

Started by RW, April 17, 2015, 12:08:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

RW

So this 18 year-old kid - Kai Kloepfer is working at creating guns with fingerprint sensors on them that would only allow the person who has registered the gun to shoot it.  Do you think this is a viable means of "gun control" to solve the issue of accidental (and stolen gun) shootings?

Beware of Gaslighters!

Leopardsocks

There is ONLY one means of gun control.

No guns.

That notion has been around for decades...the military have been toying with the idea of biometric lockouts on military firearms, so that enemies cannot turn their own guns against them. If they haven't come up with a viable solution, I cannot see how this kid can make it work.

RW

It is said it won't work in a military application but what about a domestic application?
Beware of Gaslighters!

Leopardsocks

How is one distinguished from the other.

The technology is identical...only the application changes.

There is only ONE safe gun. That is the gun you do not possess.

keeper

After i quit hunting i sold all of my guns and let my F.A.C expire. Im fine with "no guns"

RW

Quote from: "Leopardsocks"How is one distinguished from the other.

The technology is identical...only the application changes.

There is only ONE safe gun. That is the gun you do not possess.

Let's get over the whole no gun thing mmmkay.  We both know Americans won't give up their guns for anything.

The application is different making the technology more viable in a domestic setting.  They talk about it in the video.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"So this 18 year-old kid - Kai Kloepfer is working at creating guns with fingerprint sensors on them that would only allow the person who has registered the gun to shoot it.  Do you think this is a viable means of "gun control" to solve the issue of accidental (and stolen gun) shootings?

Not a word of a lie, my ex-bf had an almost identical idea.

RW

Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "RW"No way!

I'm dead serious RW.

RW

I believe you.  I've been told though that it isn't a new idea.
Beware of Gaslighters!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Shen Li"
Quote from: "RW"So this 18 year-old kid - Kai Kloepfer is working at creating guns with fingerprint sensors on them that would only allow the person who has registered the gun to shoot it.  Do you think this is a viable means of "gun control" to solve the issue of accidental (and stolen gun) shootings?

Not a word of a lie, my ex-bf had an almost identical idea.

That is incredible Shen Li..

He never pursued his idea?

Odinson

Finger gun is the worlds safest gun.

Renee

Quote from: "RW"I believe you.  I've been told though that it isn't a new idea.

It's not a new idea. It's been being kicked around for use in firearms for at least the past decade. In fact I have a firearms bed safe that responds to my finger prints in order to open it. The major problem lies in reliability. A duty weapon that is carried on a daily basis is subject to a fair amount of abuse; making sure the technology needed to operate it remains undamaged is problematic. You are also adding an unpredictable element into the mix which can conceivably add a level of malfunction to the weapon. Eventually this kind of technology will become reality but it will only be useful when it becomes almost bullet-proof (no pun intended).
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Fashionista"
That is incredible Shen Li..

He never pursued his idea?

It wasn't identical, but similar to what RW posted. He never got a proper prototype going and kinda gave up on it when he realized other people had similar ideas.

cc

We can pass laws to keep guns from the good guys, we can create devices to make them safer for the good guys .... but we cannot keep fully operational guns from those who would use them for bad purposes

There is no device nor law that can keep criminals from getting fully operational guns on the black market
I really tried to warn y\'all in 49  .. G. Orwell